Jared and I were married in a garden under the Lion’s Gate Bridge in West Vancouver. It’s a garden built by our own two hands, and the perfect location to say our vows which shared our love of native plants, medicinal herbs, fruits, flowers, tubers, roots, and soil. Both of us are natural city dwellers and passionate professionals, but have been seeking a different life for ourselves for some time. The city had become too noisy and crowded, and as we grew older we found ourselves spending more time at home making jam out of berries from our garden and tinctures from the medicinal herbs. We started to dream of another life for ourselves not far from the city, but with some land to tend to and perhaps a different future than the ones that we would have if we continued to work solely in social work and public relations.
So, this blog is to become not only a place for us to share our recipes and herbal concoctions, our soaps and our tips on growing native plants, but also a promise to ourselves to find a way to make a better life for ourselves. To share our desires, our plans, and our vision for a life outside of the city where we can dig our hands into the dirt every day and grow beautiful things.
This is our wishlist:
- A piece of land where we can build a farm.
- That has approximately 10 acres of land with good exposure and decent soil, at an elevation to grow grapes, fruit, and herbs.
- That could provide for a good home for raising animals, chickens, goats, ducks, and other critters.
- That has adequate access to water.
- That has an existing home to rent or live, or else be affordable enough to not have to sell our home in New Westminster immediately.
- That could attract visitors for weddings, tours, education.
- That is located close enough to family and to an urban center where we can get what we need in terms of supplies and assistance as well as attracting visitors/customers.
- That is close to a First Nations community where Jared could continue working as a social worker.
- A business plan outlining:
- Our detailed plans for the property.
- The revenue streams that we could generate
- Growing & selling flowers, herbs, fruit & vegetables,
- Making & selling wine, soap, jams, medicinal herbal tinctures, salves, teas
- Wedding/misc. rentals
- Courses & education (herbal/homesteading/native plants/permaculture ),
- Bed & breakfast
- Farmers market
- Property/pasture rental
- Blog/digital advertising & freelancing our thought leadership
- Budget/costs, loans needed, etc.
- Timeline for building the business, growth/expansion for future development
- A plan/timeline for our future: how many years until we transition from where we’re currently at into our new lives
From this wish list, we hope to share our journey, develop our vision, and help those along the way that are looking to follow a similar path. Don’t hesitate to ask questions, leave us tips and tricks, and share content that you find helpful with others in your life who are hopping to do the same.